Submissions/The Twilight of EU Copyright Reform, or, How to reform with a hammer
This is an accepted submission for Wikimania 2015.
- Submission no.
- Title of the submission
The Twilight of EU Copyright Reform, or, How to reform with a hammer
- Type of submission (discussion, hot seat, panel, presentation, tutorial, workshop)
- Author of the submission
Dimitar Dimitrov a.k.a. User:Dimi_z
- E-mail address
- Country of origin
- Affiliation, if any (organisation, company etc.)
- Free Knowledge Advocacy Group EU
- Personal homepage or blog
- Abstract (at least 300 words to describe your proposal)
After more than five years of consultations, dialogues, studies and reports the European Union has finally begun serious work on reforming its copyright framework. The European Commission, whose President made copyright reform one of his top 5 priorities, is currently working on a legislative proposal that it will present around the time of Wikimania. Simultaneously, the European Parliament is trying to find its position on copyright and Wikimedia's core issues - Freedom of Panorama (FoP) and Public Domain for Government Works (PDGov)see Position Paper are being negotiated.
For the first time in history the community that grew around a user-generated project is set up to follow the legislative process and try to influence it. The European chapters have founded the Free Knowledge Advocacy Group EU and have appointed a Free Knowledge Ambassador to the EU. With the help of volunteers and a little staff support by the chapters, we're contacting decision-makers, organising advocacy events and proposing legal texts to be included in the legislation Take Action Advocacy Advisors. We're also starting an exchange programme called "Visiting Weasels" that will get volunteer Wikimedians to Brussels for 2-4 weeks to help lobby the European Parliament and learn the ropes so they can also apply the tricks of the trade back home.
Wikimedia is in the centre of the civil society efforts to get a copyright reform that grows and protects the commons. We are, together with groups similar groups like Creative Commons, Open Knowledge and Mozilla and like-minded organisations trying to protect the public domain and counterbalance the overwhelming force of collecting societies, music and film enterprises and publishers.
This talk will be held around the time when the European Commission will present its legislative proposal to the European Parliament and thus at a very heated moment of the debate. It will be the perfect opportunity to update Wikimedians and other free knowledge enthusiasts about the latests developments and to round-up support for the legislative battle to come - Free Culture vs. Copyright Industry.
Next to talking to talking about the general political situation and negotiations, I will give several examples of how pieces of legislative text that are important to us got included, altered or removed from the proposal and what our exact role in the process was.
- Legal & Free Culture
- Length of session (if other than 30 minutes, specify how long)
- 30 minutes (15 minutes presentation, 15 minutes Q&A)
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
Possible, depending on funding
- Slides or further information (optional)
- See the ongoing EU advocacy storytelling on the WMF blog
- See my talk and panel discussion at Wikimania London
- Special requests
Julia Reda, Member of the European Parliament, and her parliamentary assistant Mathias Schindler will be submitting a talk on EU copyright reform, too. They will be presenting the inside view, while I will be showing the "from-the-outside" picture and activities. It would be best if these two submissions are grouped together.
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with a hash and four tildes. (# ~~~~).
- Nicole Ebber (WMDE) (talk) 13:03, 11 February 2015 (UTC)
- Slowking4 (talk) 02:23, 14 February 2015 (UTC)
- Daniel Mietchen (talk) 02:52, 15 February 2015 (UTC)
- NickK (talk) 00:28, 16 February 2015 (UTC)
- Mrjohncummings (talk) 05:24, 16 February 2015 (UTC)
- Spiritia (talk) 06:25, 19 February 2015 (UTC)
- --Claudia.Garad (talk) 13:34, 24 February 2015 (UTC)
- Slaporte (WMF) (talk) 18:04, 28 February 2015 (UTC)
- Tar Lócesilion (talk) 23:21, 9 March 2015 (UTC)
- CT Cooper · talk 22:42, 10 March 2015 (UTC)
- --アンタナナ 23:12, 22 May 2015 (UTC)
- Ad Huikeshoven (talk) 12:56, 14 June 2015 (UTC)
- Sebastian Wallroth (talk) 10:15, 1 July 2015 (UTC)
- --Olimar (talk) 19:37, 12 July 2015 (UTC)
- Dashaund (talk) 03:25, 15 July 2015 (UTC)
- Hanay (talk) 06:41, 15 July 2015 (UTC)
- --Ліонкінг (talk) 06:37, 17 July 2015 (UTC)
- Add your username here.