Submissions/Copyright reform in the EU - What you can expect to happen
This is an accepted submission for Wikimania 2015.
- Submission no.
- Title of the submission
- Copyright reform in the EU - What you can expect to happen
- Type of submission (discussion, hot seat, panel, presentation, tutorial, workshop)
- Author of the submission
- Julia Reda, MEP
- E-mail address
- Country of origin
- Affiliation, if any (organisation, company etc.)
- member of the European Parliament, Vice-Chair Greens/EFA Group, Pirate Party
- Personal homepage or blog
- Abstract (at least 300 words to describe your proposal)
The European Union is in the middle of a thorough review of its copyright law. By the time of the Wikimania 2015 conference, a proposal by the European Commission will be either already released or imminent. As a member of the European Parliament, I have been involved in organizing a majority among my peers towards a new copyright that fully embraces the technical feasibility of creating and sharing information and knowledge across all physical borders. The talk outlines the work so far, the upcoming steps and the opportunities for Wikimedians to make their case for a copyright that not only tolerated license models such as Creative Commons.
As of February 2015, the European Parliament is deliberating my draft report on the implementation of Directive 2001/29/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council of 22 May 2001 on the harmonisation of certain aspects of copyright and related rights in the information society. At the same time, the European Commission is preparing a proposal for copyright reform, due to be released in summer 2015.
- Legal & Free Culture
- Length of session (if other than 30 minutes, specify how long)
- 30 minutes
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
- undecided, less likely
- Slides or further information (optional)
- This is the presentation held at the 31C3 conference in December 2014 on a similar topic: http://media.ccc.de/browse/congress/2014/31c3_-_6350_-_en_-_saal_2_-_201412291400_-_correcting_copywrongs_-_julia_reda.html#video
- Special requests
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with a hash and four tildes. (# ~~~~).
- Daniel Mietchen (talk) 00:19, 1 March 2015 (UTC)
- Tar Lócesilion (talk) 02:46, 1 March 2015 (UTC)
- Dimi z (talk)
- Spinster (talk) 09:57, 2 March 2015 (UTC)
- Ocaasi (talk) 16:55, 2 March 2015 (UTC)
- CT Cooper · talk 21:31, 2 March 2015 (UTC)
- John Andersson (WMSE) (talk) 22:01, 2 March 2015 (UTC)
- Ainali (talk) 19:35, 4 March 2015 (UTC)
- Laurentius (talk) 20:08, 4 March 2015 (UTC)
- Cornelius Kibelka (WMDE) (talk) (talk) 09:31, 5 March 2015 (UTC)
- Man77 (talk) 10:09, 9 April 2015 (UTC)
- Romaine (talk) 03:18, 8 July 2015 (UTC)
- Dashaund (talk) 03:10, 15 July 2015 (UTC)
- Add your username here.