Submissions/Wikipedia Vs Terrorism
After careful consideration, the Programme Committee has decided not to accept the below submission at this time. Thank you to the author(s) for participating in the Wikimania 2015 programme submission, we hope to still see you at Wikimania this July.
- Submission no.
- Title of the submission
Wikipedia Vs. Terrorism
- Type of submission (discussion, hot seat, panel, presentation, tutorial, workshop)
- Author of the submission
- E-mail address
- Country of origin
- Affiliation, if any (organisation, company etc.)
- Personal homepage or blog
- Abstract (at least 300 words to describe your proposal)
In Arab Countries in general and especially Iraq (Which is not pure Arab but actually a multi races population) we have a huge lack of awareness about Wikipedia, the majority still think that Wikipedia is written by well paid professionals in all specialties, in addition to that for almost a decade people are busy worrying about terrorism which could be fought by military weapons but in my opinion the ignorance and extremism are the main causes of terrorism. Nothing could fight Terrorism better than Free knowledge and nothing is better than Wikipedia for that. In addition I'm living in a city of mixed races (Majority are Kurds with some Arabs), so I thought as a way to unite people, I'm launching a campaign stating that Either you are Kurd or Arab you can add to the humanity and transfer all human sciences to your own language. We have to make knowledge a way for peace instead of seeing it just destroy lives in name of technology. Terrorists take advantage of spreading people apart and get use of the ignorant people by brainwash their minds. If all these minds could understand that they can reach for free to all world's knowledge packed in a website, they could read more about science, History, Art, Physics, Astronomy, Law, movies, football, sports and everything they could imagine. Knowledge change realities, I believe in Wikipedia as the best weapon against terrorism and ignorance. I will launch the campaign soon, so I will present in Wikimania through my presentation the campaign feedback as well as all results that I will get after that. I'm planning to start the campaign in my city Erbil, if the feedback was good I will spread it immediately (Hopefully) to 3 cities more: Baghdad, Alsulaimaniya and Basra. I'm planning to add a short Video as well to the presentation about people here and their impression about Wikipedia and their actions after knowing that they can contribute in the humanity heritage as well as enriching their own languages.
- WikiCulture & Community
- Length of session (if other than 30 minutes, specify how long)
- 30 minutes
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
I don't know
- Slides or further information (optional)
- Special requests
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with a hash and four tildes. (# ~~~~).
- Luis.cea.hdz (talk) 15:33, 7 February 2015 (UTC)
- Ossmar Aarón (talk) 15:33, 7 February 2015 (UTC)
- --Gereon K. (talk) 07:49, 12 February 2015 (UTC)
- TFlanagan-WMF (talk) 22:13, 26 February 2015 (UTC)
- This is great! Please speak! Blue Rasberry (talk) 01:12, 1 March 2015 (UTC)
- Christian Cariño (talk) 08:18, 6 March 2015 (UTC)
- Panyd (talk) 17:29, 7 March 2015 (UTC)
- Looks very engaging. CT Cooper · talk 23:56, 10 March 2015 (UTC)
- as I'm from Iraq, and originally from place controlled by ISIS --Mahmoudalrawi (talk) 21:01, 17 March 2015 (UTC)
- --لا روسا (talk) 21:58, 11 April 2015 (UTC)
- Man77 (talk) 10:15, 12 April 2015 (UTC)
- Add your username here.