Submissions/Where Are the Women in Wikipedia?
After careful consideration, the Programme Committee has decided not to accept the below submission at this time. Thank you to the author(s) for participating in the Wikimania 2015 programme submission, we hope to still see you at Wikimania this July.
- Submission no.
- Title of the submission
Where Are the Women in Wikipedia?
- Type of submission (discussion, hot seat, panel, presentation, tutorial, workshop)
- Author of the submission
Greta Doçi Margott (talk) 15:25, 24 February 2015 (UTC)
- E-mail address
Margott (talk) 15:25, 24 February 2015 (UTC)
- Country of origin
- Affiliation, if any (organisation, company etc.)
Wikipedia volunteers, Open Labs hacker space
- Personal homepage or blog
- Abstract (at least 300 words to describe your proposal)
How can you provide every human being with the sum of all knowledge when only 15%, of half the population,is sharing on Wikipedia? This quote inspired me to start analyzing the gender bap issue on Wikipedia. The Gender Gap is one of the most talked topic since forever, and still a Gap. Where are women in Wikipedia? Why the gap is so big ~85 Man, ~15 Women? Are we discussing the right reasons about females non participating on editing Wikipedia? I can add a lot of questions like this. The thing is that this gap should be reduced with large steps. Edit-a-thon/presentations about gender gap help but looks that are not enough. In Albania except the part of the Gender Gap females editor, it is the gap or notable females that have an article on Wikipedia Albania. Category: Female/Women are 12 articles.(A lot of female articles are not put into women category). But this is not a local problem. Gender gap is a global problem. What happens when women don't write on Wikipedia?
- Wikipedia lacks coverage of subjects that women may have interest in (i.e. history, literature, women's sport, healthcare,education)
- Biographical coverage about women is severely lacking.
- Discussions about topics such as pregnancy,abortion and feminism are often dominated by males.
I am often asked specially by males: What/Who stops you to edit? I am not sure if i have to right answer.
To reduce this gap as part as WikiAcademy Albania in collaboration with Wikimedia Serbia we will have and event "Wiki Camp" this April in Prishtina when 7 girls from each country will edit about notable females from respective city. If i make to Wikimania i will have more details about this event. If my presentation will not be selected i'll be more than happy to participate in the gender gap discussion of others talk.
- WikiCulture & Community
- Length of session (if other than 30 minutes, specify how long)
- 30 minutes
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
Yes, if i make to win a scholarship
- Slides or further information (optional)
- Special requests
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with a hash and four tildes. (# ~~~~).
- Wotancito (talk) 08:00, 1 March 2015 (UTC)
- ViolaCiv (talk) 13:16, 6 March 2015 (UTC)