Submissions/Touch my Wiki – how 3D could revolutionize your WP experience
After careful consideration, the Programme Committee has decided not to accept the below submission at this time. Thank you to the author(s) for participating in the Wikimania 2015 programme submission, we hope to still see you at Wikimania this July.
- Submission no.
- Title of the submission
Touch my Wiki – how 3D could revolutionize your WP experience
- Type of submission (discussion, hot seat, panel, presentation, tutorial, workshop)
presentation & discussion
- Author of the submission
Nikolas Becker (User:Theredmonkey)
- E-mail address
- Country of origin
- Affiliation, if any (organisation, company etc.)
Wikimedia Deutschland, board member
- Personal homepage or blog
- Abstract (at least 300 words to describe your proposal)
Think of the Wikipedia article about the Great Pyramid of Giza. Imagine how amazing it would be if we could provide the reader with a detailed 3D model, that you can walk through, zoom in and out of and rotate freely … Consider the articles about brain, digestion, or red blood cells and how much easier they could be understood by touchable 3D illustrations. Envision how great architecture, ancient cities, mechanical devices, and microbiological models could be made accessible through a third dimension.
In this talk I will first outline how a 3D integration in Wikipedia articles could look like, how we could implement it based on Commons and Wikidata, and finally how we can provide volunteers with the necessary tools so that everyone can create CC licensed 3D models. Afterwards we will have a discussion with the audience about the ideas presented and any new thought. Hopefully this will lead to a continued groupthink of everyone interested.
- Technology, Interface & Infrastructure
- Length of session (if other than 30 minutes, specify how long)
- 30 minutes
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
- Slides or further information (optional)
- Special requests
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with a hash and four tildes. (# ~~~~).
- --Daniel Mietchen (talk) 11:32, 26 February 2015 (UTC)
- --Bücherwürmlein (talk) 17:28, 28 February 2015 (UTC)
- NavinoEvans (talk) 13:56, 1 March 2015 (UTC)
- Something new and curious! Amir E. Aharoni (talk) 16:17, 6 March 2015 (UTC)
- guillom (talk) 00:05, 8 March 2015 (UTC)