Submissions/Crossing borders - international collaboration on GLAM projects
After careful consideration, the Programme Committee has decided not to accept the below submission at this time. Thank you to the author(s) for participating in the Wikimania 2015 programme submission, we hope to still see you at Wikimania this July.
- Submission no.
- Title of the submission
- Crossing borders - international collaboration on GLAM projects
- Type of submission (discussion, hot seat, panel, presentation, tutorial, workshop)
- Author of the submission
- Andy Mabbett
- E-mail address
- Country of origin
- United Kingdom
- Affiliation, if any (organisation, company etc.)
- Personal homepage or blog
- Abstract (at least 300 words to describe your proposal)
Andy Mabbett has held more Wikimedian in Residence positions than any other Wikimedian. In many of these, and on other GLAM outreach projects, he has collaborated internationally, with Wikimedians whose primary language is not English. Although he is a typical English-speaking monoglot, this has involved written contributions to projects in Catalan, Chinese, Danish, Gaelic, German, Hebrew, Marathi, Polish, Russian, Spanish, Welsh, and many other languages.
How is this possible? What motivated the Wikimedians involved to collaborate across languages? How can we prevent major languages from dominating, while still making use of their Wikipedias' resources to support minor languages?
Andy will share his ideas - in English, of course - and facilitate a discussion to enable further collaborations in future.
- WikiCulture & Community
- Length of session (if other than 30 minutes, specify how long)
- 30 minutes (longer of you wish)
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
- Slides or further information (optional)
- Special requests
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with a hash and four tildes. (# ~~~~).