Welcome to the Discussion Room page! Like last year, Wikimania will have a dedicated Discussion Room available, which will facilitate round table discussions during the regular programming of the conference. The topics are yet to be decided, but you are warmly invited to suggest topics already on this page.
The idea is to increase the number of open, facilitated discussions during Wikimania that are actually about the content projects. The participation of the audience is critical, and therefore your input on what topics would be good, as well! Please share your thoughts below.
- Discussions of 40-50 minutes each;
- Clearly defined topic for each discussion, all related to the Wikimedia communities (no discussions on meta-topics, fundraising, governance, affiliates etc.);
- Aiming to reach pre-defined goals during the discussion;
- There are no expert panels, speakers, slides;
- Discussions take place either in English or Spanish (for the full duration of that slot - no translations);
- Discussions are moderated by a facilitator;
- There is no audience, and everybody is audience;
- Key lessons and points are documented live on etherpad, and may be processed later.
Program & Topics for 2015
In 2015, we have 8 slots available for the discussion room, allowing for 15 different topics to be discussed. Four of these topics will be discussed in Spanish, the others in English. Below you will find the most up to date schedule for that, with links to more detailed discussion pages.
Slot1: 1400 - 1530
- 1400-1530 (Room: Don Americo): 1a (EN): The Wikipedian self help group: Collecting the most annoying, beautiful & hilarious memories of Wikimedians
Slot 2: 0900 - 1030
- 0900-0940: 2a (EN): When to include data from Wikidata in a content page, and when not?
- 0950-1030: 2b (EN): Citing sources in biographies of living people
Slot 3: 1100 - 1230
- 1100-1140: 3a (EN): Wikimedia Commons - Needs and wishes for the perfect Wikimedia media database
- 1150-1230: 3b (EN): Including large content donations in our projects: how, and under which conditions?
Slot 4, in parallel to slot 3:
- 1100-1140: 4a (ES): ¿Qué hacer con el Editor Visual? [What to do with the Visual Editor?]
- 1150-1230: 4b (ES): ¿Cómo recibir y retener nuevos usuarios? [How to welcome and retain new editors?]
Slot 5: 1400 - 1530
- 1400-1440: 5a (ES): Donaciones de contenido: ¿cuánto, cómo, a cambio de qué? [Content donations: how much, how, and in exchange for what?]
- 1450-1530: 5b (ES): Cantidad versus calidad en programas educativos con Wikipedia. ¿Cómo medir su éxito? [Quantity vs quality in educational programs on Wikipedia. How to measure success?]
Slot 6: 1600 - 1700
- 1600-1700: 6a (EN): Plantillas de mantenimiento: ¿uso o abuso?
Slot 7: 0900 - 1030
- 0900-0940: 7a (EN): Fighting against conflicts: different approaches
- 0950-1030: 7b (EN): Editors with a strong point of view: recognising them & keeping them constructive
Slot 8: 1100 - 1230
- 1100-1140: 8a (EN): Empowering the power users from a community perspective
- 1150-1230: 8b (EN): How to withstand a flood of students and turn it to your advantage
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. Also, indicate which topics interest you most. This helps us to set the program. You can sign using four tildes (# ~~~~). You can also "join" a specific discussion session through the links above in the program, once the discussion program is set. If you leave your name here, we will try to contact you again when the full program is (almost) known.
- Effeietsanders (talk) 14:07, 8 March 2015 (UTC)
- Galio (talk) 20:59, 24 March 2015 (UTC)
- Axel Pettersson (WMSE) (talk) 08:22, 7 June 2015 (UTC)
- Mike Peel (talk) 16:57, 7 June 2015 (UTC)
- Trizek (talk) 19:09, 9 June 2015 (UTC) Help namespace upgrade
- Tar Lócesilion (queta) 19:20, 9 June 2015 (UTC) Help namespace upgrade
- Sebastian Wallroth (talk) 07:48, 12 June 2015 (UTC)
- Polimerek (talk) 18:02, 12 June 2015 (UTC)
- Daniel Mietchen (talk) 20:45, 13 June 2015 (UTC)
- ☠MarkAHershberger☢(talk)☣ 21:06, 23 June 2015 (UTC) MediaWiki governance
- Add your username here.
All notes will be transferred here: Discussion Room/Notes