The Discussion Room is a space for open and facilitated discussions at Wikimania that are actually about the content projects. Participation of the audience in the session is critical, because there are no speakers, and there is no expert panel!
You can find a full overview of the discussion topics on the Discussion Room main page. Please note: there is limited seating available, and we're not saving any seats! Please be on time, but feel free to join during the midway break between two discussions.
- Discussion topics this session
- 8a Empowering the power users from a community perspective
- 8b How to withstand a flood of students and turn it to your advantage?
- 8a https://etherpad.wikimedia.org/p/2015-discussionroom-8a
- 8b https://etherpad.wikimedia.org/p/2015-discussionroom-8b
- Facilitator of this session
- (to be determined)
- Length of this session
- 40 minutes + 40 minutes (with a 5 minute break in between)
Each discussion targets specifically online Wikimedia projects, it lasts 40 minutes and it starts with a short 5 minutes introduction.
To set the tone of our discussions, we have three rules:
- Focus on YOU. We are interested in discussing and triggering individual action, things people can personally do and change to improve our Wikimedia projects. We trust the discussion can be much more interesting if we do not focus on what others should do ("the others", Wikimedia chapters and Wikimedia Foundation).
- Be constructive and polite. Disagreements animate discussions and they can allow us to unfold all issues related to a topic. Let's avoid personal attacks, let's consider that we have different backgrounds and let's aim at making everybody comfortable in sharing their legitimate point of view.
- Be short and on topic. Let's create space for everyone to express his/her opinion.
Empowering the power users from a community perspective
How to withstand a flood of students and turn it to your advantage?