Submissions/Wikidata for research
After careful consideration, the Programme Committee has decided not to accept the below submission at this time. Thank you to the author(s) for participating in the Wikimania 2015 programme submission, we hope to still see you at Wikimania this July.
- Submission no.
- Title of the submission
- Wikidata for research
- Type of submission (discussion, hot seat, panel, presentation, tutorial, workshop)
- Author of the submission
- Daniel Mietchen
- E-mail address
- Daniel Mietchen
- Country of origin
- Affiliation, if any (organisation, company etc.)
- Open Knowledge Foundation Germany
- Personal homepage or blog
- User:Daniel Mietchen
- Abstract (at least 300 words to describe your proposal)
Wikidata – along with the underlying MediaWiki extension Wikibase – was conceived as a tool to facilitate the curation of information on Wikimedia platforms, but as it keeps expanding in breadth and depth and functionality, additional uses can be more clearly envisioned. This includes uses in research contexts, e.g. the use of Wikidata identifiers in research communications, the mapping of external identifiers through Wikidata, the use of scholarly sources as references for statements in Wikidata, or machine reasoning on top of that.
WikiProject Wikidata for research aims to explore and facilitate such uses of Wikidata in research. Founded in late 2014, it brings together a cross-disciplinary group of Wikimedians and researchers. In January 2015, it submitted a research proposal to the European Union, which now serves as the basis for further activities at the interface between research and Wikidata.
- Technology, Interface & Infrastructure
- Length of session (if other than 30 minutes, specify how long)
- 30 minutes
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
- Slides or further information (optional)
- A Signpost article about the project
- The Wiki4R grant proposal submitted to the EU's EINFRA-9-2015 call.
- Special requests
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with a hash and four tildes. (# ~~~~).
- I expect this to be the most ambitious, far-reaching, and wiki-changing project introduced at this conference. Blue Rasberry (talk) 13:04, 3 February 2015 (UTC)
- Beat Estermann (talk)
- Mrjohncummings (talk) 05:17, 16 February 2015 (UTC) An incredibly important topic presented by a very knowledgeable person
- NavinoEvans (talk) 23:54, 25 February 2015 (UTC)
- Orderinchaos (talk) 08:48, 28 February 2015 (UTC)