Submissions/WikiCheese: Steps to launch a successful crowdfunding campaign
After careful consideration, the Programme Committee has decided not to accept the below submission at this time. Thank you to the author(s) for participating in the Wikimania 2015 programme submission, we hope to still see you at Wikimania this July.
- Submission no.
- Title of the submission
- WikiCheese: Steps to launch a successful crowdfunding campaign
- Type of submission (discussion, hot seat, panel, presentation, tutorial, workshop)
- Author of the submission
- Pierre-Yves Beaudouin
- E-mail address
- Country of origin
- Affiliation, if any (organisation, company etc.)
- Volunteer of Wikimedia France
- Personal homepage or blog
- Abstract (at least 300 words to describe your proposal)
The biggest encyclopedia in the world meets the country of cheese
92% of French people eat cheese at least once a week. But Wikipedia is still poorly illustrated in this area. Have you ever taken pictures of cheese at home? They are usually not satisfying. In addition, France has more than 1,000 varieties of cheese. It becomes clear that we need to build a project to illustrate French cheeses.
At the end of 2014, I have launched a crowdfunding campaign, led by Wikimedia France, for a project called WikiCheese. The goal of this project is to improve Wikipedia, Wikimedia Commons and Wikidata. The campaign consists in financing the purchase of cheeses, photographic equipment and books. A session is organised once a month in Wikimedia France's office in Paris. During each session, 10 cheeses are shot and the backers of the project can come to learn how to edit articles about this treat − and to taste them.
The campaign has generated an important press coverage in France and in 17 countries. The project has also spread outside France. Wikimedians from Austria, Germany and the United States of America will also take pictures of cheese.
During the presentation, a number of questions will be touched upon: Do's and Dont's of crowdfunding. Does a crowdfunding campaign bring you only money or something else (advice, partners, public relations)? Is it a good way to motivate the community? Next step: WikiCheese in different countries? An international photo contest for cuisine and food?
- WikiCulture & Community
- Length of session (if other than 30 minutes, specify how long)
- 30 minutes
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
I will try
- Slides or further information (optional)
- Special requests
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with a hash and four tildes. (# ~~~~).
- Daniel Mietchen (talk) 13:02, 28 February 2015 (UTC)
- PierreSelim (talk) 18:56, 1 March 2015 (UTC)
- ShreCk (talk) 19:02, 27 April 2015 (UTC).
- Add your username here.