Submissions/What does "free" mean in Wikimedia?
This is an accepted submission for Wikimania 2015.
- Submission no.
- Title of the submission
- What does "free" mean in Wikimedia? Let's look at the licenses.
- Type of submission (discussion, hot seat, panel, presentation, tutorial, workshop)
- E-mail address
- slaportewikimedia.org and gpaumierwikimedia.org
- Country of origin
- Affiliation, if any (organisation, company etc.)
- Wikimedia Foundation
- Abstract (at least 300 words to describe your proposal)
The Wikimedia projects are built on content from the public domain or released under free licenses that allow anyone to share or remix. As a result of these policies, Wikimedia sites have some of the Internet's largest repositories of free content, and it contains a wealth of metadata about the media on our projects. Through Wikimedia's various licensing policies, we have collected content under a range of free licenses (from the GNU Free Document License, Creative Commons suite, and others) and public domain rationales (organized through a set of community-maintained policies and guides).
In this talk, we will provide an introduction to the state of Wikimedia licensing and dig into some data on the licenses we use in practice on Wikimedia projects to share free knowledge. We will cover:
- A general introduction to free licensing
- Why are free licenses important, how do they work, and what is allowed on Wikimedia projects?
- Licensing in practices
- Insight from the file metadata cleanup drive.
- Trends in free licensing
- Creative Commons 4.0 and areas for design improvement.
We will conclude with a few suggestions on how the licensing practices can be refined to better serve those who wish to share and remix.
- Legal & Free Culture
- Length of session (if other than 30 minutes, specify how long)
- 30 minutes
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
- Slides or further information (optional)
- Special requests
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with a hash and four tildes. (# ~~~~).
- Daniel Mietchen (talk) 12:54, 28 February 2015 (UTC)
- --Malemar (talk) 19:12, 26 April 2015 (UTC)
- --アンタナナ 23:12, 22 May 2015 (UTC)
- Sebastian Wallroth (talk) 10:14, 1 July 2015 (UTC)
- Dashaund (talk) 03:25, 15 July 2015 (UTC)
- Hanay (talk) 06:39, 15 July 2015 (UTC)
- Carlojoseph14 (talk) 20:57, 16 July 2015 (UTC)
- --Ліонкінг (talk) 06:37, 17 July 2015 (UTC)
- MRG90 (talk) 19:40, 17 July 2015 (UTC)
- Add your username here.