Submissions/War Stories From WMF Legal: Defending Users & Content
This is an accepted submission for Wikimania 2015.
- Submission no.
- Title of the submission
- War Stories From WMF Legal: Defending Users & Content
- Type of submission (discussion, hot seat, panel, presentation, tutorial, workshop)
- Author of the submission
- Michelle Paulson & Jacob Rogers
- E-mail address
- mpaulsonwikimedia.org & jrogerswikimedia.org
- Mpaulson_(WMF) & Jrogers_(WMF)
- Country of origin
- United States
- Affiliation, if any (organisation, company etc.)
- Wikimedia Foundation
- Personal homepage or blog
- Abstract (at least 300 words to describe your proposal)
The Wikimedia Foundation’s legal team handles legal takedown demands for the Wikimedia projects related to copyright, content complaints, and other issues. Last Wikimania, we released our first ever transparency report. This year, we will present our latest transparency report — recent developments in user information and content removal requests, new metrics like "Right To Be Forgotten" requests and goverment request tracking, content removal requests from governments, and of course, some fun stories from the past year.
For those who may not be familiar with the kinds of demands that the legal team receives, this talk will provide a good introduction to the requests that threaten the very fabric of our projects. The vast majority of conflicts that occur on wiki are resolved through community processes, as they should be, due to the amazing efforts of dedicated community members. The cases that reach the legal department frequently represent complex or difficult situations. Our goal is to aggressively preserve free content, unless we are legally unable to keep it. We will discuss how, together, the community and the WMF legal team can continue to protect the sum of all human knowledge.
- Legal & Free Culture
- Length of session (if other than 30 minutes, specify how long)
- 30 minutes
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
- Slides or further information (optional)
- Special requests
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with a hash and four tildes. (# ~~~~).
- Dimi z (talk) 14:23, 7 March 2015 (UTC)
- guillom (talk) 00:09, 8 March 2015 (UTC)
- Risker (talk) 02:31, 8 March 2015 (UTC)
- CT Cooper · talk 23:24, 10 March 2015 (UTC)
- Spiritia (talk) 13:21, 14 March 2015 (UTC)
- Quiddity (WMF) (talk) 05:29, 26 March 2015 (UTC)
- --アンタナナ 23:12, 22 May 2015 (UTC)
- Hanay (talk) 06:27, 15 July 2015 (UTC)
- Ale201093 (talk) 2:48, 17 July 2015 (UTC)
- --Ліонкінг (talk) 06:36, 17 July 2015 (UTC)
Schedule: The presentation is scheduled for Friday from 14-14:30 in room Don Alberto 3.