Submissions/Third party wikis help Wikimedia thrive
After careful consideration, the Programme Committee has decided not to accept the below submission at this time. Thank you to the author(s) for participating in the Wikimania 2015 programme submission, we hope to still see you at Wikimania this July.
- Submission no.
- Title of the submission
- Third party wikis help Wikimedia thrive
- Type of submission (discussion, hot seat, panel, presentation, tutorial, workshop)
- Author of the submission
- Mark A. Hershberger
- E-mail address
- Country of origin
- Affiliation, if any (organisation, company etc.)
- Personal homepage or blog
- Wikimedia runs on MediaWiki, software that it releases under the GPL for everyone to use.
- Other large (Wikia), small (Blockscape Wiki), and specialized wikis (WikiPathways) often result in contributions back to Wikimedia projects. Those can be in the form of content (e.g. this interactive map on the Glocolysis page from WikiPathways), extensions (e.g Semantic MediaWiki), or core contributions inspired by non-WMF use cases.
- This talk will showcase how content from wikis has migrated back to Wikipedia and its sister projects. This showcase will demonstrate how Wikimedian's efforts on their own MediaWiki sites helps promote Wikimedia's mission of Free Knowledge.
- We may also demonstrate how private wikis used by other organsations have helped familiarize users with the the software that runs Wikipedia and helped them contribute to it.
- Technology, Interface & Infrastructure
- Length of session (if other than 30 minutes, specify how long)
- 30 minutes
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
- Slides or further information (optional)
- Special requests
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with a hash and four tildes. (# ~~~~).