Submissions/The Perfect Policy Proposal
After careful consideration, the Programme Committee has decided not to accept the below submission at this time. Thank you to the author(s) for participating in the Wikimania 2015 programme submission, we hope to still see you at Wikimania this July.
- Submission no.
- Title of the submission
The Perfect Policy Proposal
- Type of submission (discussion, hot seat, panel, presentation, tutorial, workshop)
A brif presentation/tutorial followed by discussion
- Author of the submission
- E-mail address
- Country of origin
- Affiliation, if any (organisation, company etc.)
English Wikipedia. Administrator, oversighter, former arbitrator, author of several widely-attended policy discussion of the last several years
- Personal homepage or blog
- Abstract (at least 300 words to describe your proposal)
On larrger wikis, it can be extremely difficult to find a consensus for major changes to site policy. As a user who has been the architect of several major policy discussions ont he largest wiki of them all I have many insights into what a user should and should not do when contemplating proposing a major policy change.
Should you have a poll, an open discussion, a questionairre or even a secret vote? Is your idea brilliant, or slightly flawed, or maybe even just plain terrible? Do you have any idea if the foundation might object to it, making the whole thing an excersise in futility? Is it legal? Have you lost your mind? these are just some of the questions this presentation will endeavor to answer.
From seemingly impossible success to simple idea that it turns out everybody hated, I have been there. Learn from my experience. Laugh at my mistakes. Please don't throw rotten vegetables at me. If i can rope a few more experienced Wikipedians into this maybe I can laugh at someone else.
- WikiCulture & Community
- Length of session (if other than 30 minutes, specify how long)
- 30 minutes
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
Yes, dependent on scholarship
- Slides or further information (optional)
Presentation part of session will be based on my user essay of the same name at en.wp, with updates.
- Special requests
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with a hash and four tildes. (# ~~~~).
- Sage (Wiki Ed) (talk) 01:05, 25 February 2015 (UTC)
- I JethroBT (talk) 20:12, 25 February 2015 (UTC)
- Quiddity (WMF) (talk) 05:09, 26 March 2015 (UTC)
- Add your username here.