Submissions/Small projects: Caught in a trap
After careful consideration, the Programme Committee has decided not to accept the below submission at this time. Thank you to the author(s) for participating in the Wikimania 2015 programme submission, we hope to still see you at Wikimania this July.
- Submission no.
- Title of the submission
- Small projects: Caught in a trap
- Type of submission (discussion, hot seat, panel, presentation, tutorial, workshop)
- Author of the submission
- Jan Lochman/Juandev
- E-mail address
- Country of origin
- Czech Republic
- Affiliation, if any (organisation, company etc.)
- Personal homepage or blog
- Abstract (at least 300 words to describe your proposal)
- In certain time, when they were small by the number of active contributors, all Czech wiki projects were taken into the trap. In the trap, which may be called "founders syndrome", but not always it was a project founder, who got into the power and started to rule the project with iron fist. Suddenly the conditions in such project changes, from direct democracy, where community consensus makes the environment, to dictatorship. Dictatorship means, that one specific user determines the direction and others follow. If you follow you are a sheep and everything is OK. If you don’t follow, you are a prey. There are two solutions for this. The prey is chased down and leaves the project, or there is a fight.
- In this presentation, I will describe what has happened to small Czech wiki projects. How Wikipedia managed the way out from it and in what state are the others. On the end I will come with the recommendation, what might be done to overstep this phase and continue to focus of project goals. Maybe Czech wiki projects are not the only ones, which suffer out of this phenomenon.
- WikiCulture & Community
- Length of session (if other than 30 minutes, specify how long)
- 20 minutes
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
- would like to
- Slides or further information (optional)
- Special requests
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with a hash and four tildes. (# ~~~~).
- I wonder if anyone at any other Wikimedia group also has a story like this. Blue Rasberry (talk) 15:35, 19 February 2015 (UTC)
- Risker (talk) 02:20, 8 March 2015 (UTC)
- Seems to be part of a wider issue of smaller projects being hijacked by certain parties, and worth hearing. CT Cooper · talk 22:05, 10 March 2015 (UTC)
- Orderinchaos (talk) 22:49, 10 March 2015 (UTC)
- Add your username here.