Submissions/Operationalizing usability testing for Mediawiki engineers
This is an accepted submission for Wikimania 2015.
- Submission no.
- Title of the submission
Operationalizing usability testing for Mediawiki engineers
- Type of submission (discussion, hot seat, panel, presentation, tutorial, workshop)
- Author of the submission
Abbey Ripstra and Daisy Chen
- E-mail address
aripstrawikimedia.org and dchenwikimedia.org
ARipstra (WMF), Dchen (WMF), and Jmorgan (WMF)
- Country of origin
- Affiliation, if any (organisation, company etc.)
- Personal homepage or blog
- Abstract (at least 300 words to describe your proposal)
Usability testing is an essential part of the developing usable products. Ultimately, this helps create more usable and user-centered wikis. We will begin this session by going over the basics of usability testing practices and tools. We will describe and show how to find the right participants, how to design a study, structure data collection, and perform analysis and synthesis for delivering findings toward iterating a more usable functionality. This will be of benefit to engineers who have ever had their code blocked by usability bugs.
We will then collaborate with attendees on defining how to operationalize usability testing, discussing ways to enable engineers to perform DIY basic usability testing to make the functionality they build more usable. What might operationalizing this practice look like? We will prompt the discussion with attendees and also provide some of our own ideas on how to integrate usability testing to the development process.
Technology, Interface & Infrastructure
- Length of session (if other than 30 minutes, specify how long)
- 45-60 minutes
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
- Slides or further information (optional)
- Special requests
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with a hash and four tildes. (# ~~~~).
- Sage (Wiki Ed) (talk) 00:58, 25 February 2015 (UTC)
- Pginer-WMF (talk) 18:14, 2 March 2015 (UTC)
- MGalloway (WMF) (talk) 19:13, 2 March 2015 (UTC)
- Ocaasi (talk) 23:45, 4 March 2015 (UTC)
- An important topic. Amir E. Aharoni (talk) 15:29, 6 March 2015 (UTC)