Submissions/Kannada language, Linguistic Heritage & FOSS with Wiki Projects
After careful consideration, the Programme Committee has decided not to accept the below submission at this time. Thank you to the author(s) for participating in the Wikimania 2015 programme submission, we hope to still see you at Wikimania this July.
- Submission no.
- Title of the submission
Kannada language, Linguistic Heritage & FOSS with Wiki Projects
- Type of submission (discussion, hot seat, panel, presentation, tutorial, workshop)
- Author of the submission
Omshivaprakash H L
- E-mail address
- Country of origin
- Affiliation, if any (organisation, company etc.)
- Personal homepage or blog
- Abstract (at least 300 words to describe your proposal)
This presentation will showcase the off-wiki activities for Kannada language FOSS projects in the Indian state of Karnataka that are helping enrich Kannada Wikipedia and Kannada Wikisource with Kannada language and literature related articles and books respectively. The presentation emphasizes the need of Unicode standard to be used for Kannada and other regional languages in government websites (which is not the case for many Indian state level and federal sites), usability, accessibility of the content shared through various government and privately owned portals. It explains how community projects can set an expectation and standards for new projects. In our first attempt we solved many of these issues revolved around http://vachanasahitya.gov.in to build Vachana Sanchaya project which works as a research hub. Presentation explains the work went around this - demonstrates and also gives a glimpse on how this would be applied to other Kannada literature works in the future. Similarly, A quick walk through on how we made Kannada books from Osmania University Digital Library (oudl.osmania.ac.in) accessible to public is shared.
Some of the other government websites which are currently not accessible:
Highlights of the presentation:
- Using technology to replenish digitized Kannada literature using standards such as Unicode - Need, Outcomes and new possibilities
- Creating new opportunities to research on language and literature
- Using crowdsourcing efforts to review and contribute back to free knowledge initiatives (Enriching Wikipedia and Wiki Source)
- Setting standards for government portal projects to ensure it reaches general public
- Accessing social media effect on FOSS projects such as Vachana Sanchaya (http://vachana.sanchaya.net) & Samooha Sanchaya (http://samooha.sanchaya.net)
WikiCulture & Community
- Length of session (if other than 30 minutes, specify how long)
- 30 minutes
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
- Slides or further information (optional)
Sample slides: http://www.slideshare.net/omshivaprakash/conserving-linguistic-heritage-the-foss-way
- Special requests
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with a hash and four tildes. (# ~~~~).
- Rsrikanth05 (talk)
- Add your username here.