Submissions/Importance of co-workers
After careful consideration, the Programme Committee has decided not to accept the below submission at this time. Thank you to the author(s) for participating in the Wikimania 2015 programme submission, we hope to still see you at Wikimania this July.
- Submission no.
- Title of the submission
- Importance of co-workers
- Type of submission (discussion, hot seat, panel, presentation, tutorial, workshop)
- Presentation (and research)
- Author of the submission
- Vitez Hirald, Bathmophobia
- E-mail address
- Vitez Hirald, Bathmophobia
- Country of origin
- Affiliation, if any (organisation, company etc.)
- KUM Kucura
- Personal homepage or blog
- Abstract (at least 300 words to describe your proposal)
- Through our presentation we will point out the importance of co-workers in editing articles on Wikipedia. The presentation will be more adjusted to average and smaller Wikipedia communities, as we expect there will be more needs for such approach. Our submission is based on assumption that quality of article and average work done per user are greater when more people are active in editing on the same fields in the same period, however we will not present just our point of view, but the results of research based on opinions of more people who edit Wikipedia.
- The aim of our presentation is to discuss about existing and new ideas how to suggest, organize or motivate editors to work on same fields. Some of suggestions are: portals, edit-a-thons, competitions, projects. We will point out the importance of Wikimedia office in the country and discuss about its influence on editing. Additionally, we will discuss the adjustment of different projects to the size of Wikipedia community.
About the research*:
- For the needs of presentation, we will make a research (online survey up to 5 min) of what is the importance of co-workers for editors on Wikipedia. The part of research we will do from home, through help of Wikimedia Serbia and other interested who will spread link with questionnaire among Wikipedians from other countries. A part of research we expect to do on the very event, when we will be able to make contact with more people from different places.
- Important items of the research:
- could you count the number of fields (such as biology, aviation, modern politics, etc.) you usually work on (1, less than 5, less then 10, more)
- how many users work on the same fields as you and how does it influence on your contributions
- included pros and cons, how would you assess the impact of co-editors on the article or field you are working with
- a size of Wikipedia which member you are
We are thankful for any further comments or suggestions.
- Technology, Interface & Infrastructure
- Length of session (if other than 30 minutes, specify how long)
- 30 minutes
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
- Slides or further information (optional)
- Special requests
- Because of research it will be good if our presentation will be scheduled on later days, as we will be able to process greater amount of questionnaires spread with help of people from other countries who will attend Wikimania.
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with a hash and four tildes. (# ~~~~).