Submissions/How to write an elaborate article about an individual asteroid
After careful consideration, the Programme Committee has decided not to accept the below submission at this time. Thank you to the author(s) for participating in the Wikimania 2015 programme submission, we hope to still see you at Wikimania this July.
- Submission no.
- Title of the submission
- How to write an elaborate article about an individual asteroid
- Type of submission (discussion, hot seat, panel, presentation, tutorial, workshop)
- Author of the submission
- Gereon Kalkuhl (Gereon K.)
- E-mail address
- Gereon K.
- Country of origin
- Affiliation, if any (organisation, company etc.)
- Personal homepage or blog
- Abstract (at least 300 words to describe your proposal)
How to write an elaborate article about an individual asteroid using all possible sources. An introduction to existing asteroid articles in all languages, how to improve them and save them from deletion. Databases have information about different aspects of individual asteroids (spectrum, family membership, resonances, history of the discovery). By using all available sources a presentable Wikipedia article can be written for each discovered asteroid. Why articles written by bots are not sufficient when so much more information can be harvested.
For almost all of the discovered more than 500,000 asteroids in the solar system we have free access to the discovery history (who and where and with what instruments), the family membership, orbital resonances, spectroscopic classification (SMASS, Tholen), orbital elements, orbital inclination, orbital eccentricity and brightness (magnitude) and other aspects of each asteroid. When harvesting all this information one should have sufficient text for an elaborate article. Yet articles about asteroids frequently get deleted in en.wikipedia while numerous other Wikipedias only contain bot articles containing only a small percentage of the available data. An article should be more than just an info box. I will demonstrate how to get all information and how to use it. There will be overviews and introductions of asteroid articles from different Wikipedias, for example de, en, eo, hu, hy, it, ja, la, nn, no, pl, pt, ru, uk, vi, yo and zh.
- WikiCulture & Community
- Length of session (if other than 30 minutes, specify how long)
- 30 minutes
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
- Slides or further information (optional)
- Special requests
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with a hash and four tildes. (# ~~~~).
- Daniel Mietchen (talk) 01:41, 15 February 2015 (UTC)
- --Gnom (talk) 10:27, 26 February 2015 (UTC)
- Add your username here.