Submissions/Coloniality of power in Wikimedia, a vision from Global South
This is an accepted submission for Wikimania 2015.
- Submission no.
- Title of the submission
- Coloniality of power in Wikimedia, a vision from Global South
- Type of submission (discussion, hot seat, panel, presentation, tutorial, workshop)
- Author of the submission
- Salvador Alcántar
- E-mail address
- Country of origin
- Affiliation, if any (organisation, company etc.)
- Wikimedia Mexico
- Personal homepage or blog
- Abstract (at least 300 words to describe your proposal)
- The concept of coloniality of power is a category created by the author Aníbal Quijano, based on the historical fact of the new ways of domination after colonialism stage from European countries. Now the coloniality is practiced by the so-called Global North countries against the Global South ones. Wikimedia is also a ring where that types of unintentionated fight of power is being developed. There's concrete practicals inmersed in the current epistemiological discurse, which is the core of our activities, that convert into marginal the points of view of non-western people and non-Global-North opinions. That last part is supported on the research of Boaventura do Santos on South's epistemologies. The talk is a reflection on that Global North attitudes practiced by Global North wikimedians and WMF staff over the side of the movement living and located in developing countries.
- WikiCulture & Community
- Length of session (if other than 30 minutes, specify how long)
- 30 minutes
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
- Slides or further information (optional)
- Special requests
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with a hash and four tildes. (# ~~~~).
- Adamw (talk) 01:22, 28 February 2015 (UTC)
- --ProtoplasmaKid (talk) 06:26, 1 March 2015 (UTC)
- Sceptical, but still interested. CT Cooper · talk 17:40, 1 March 2015 (UTC)
- Ocaasi (talk) 16:54, 2 March 2015 (UTC)
- --Atropine (talk) 23:02, 7 March 2015 (UTC)
- Maor X (talk) 20:23, 8 March 2015 (UTC)
- Sebastian Wallroth (talk) 01:10, 17 July 2015 (UTC)
- Man77 (talk) 16:09, 18 March 2015 (UTC)
- Add your username here.