This has been marked as a Withdrawn submission for Wikimania 2015 because it has been withdrawn by its submitter. The submitter is invited to consider trying again next year.
- Submission no.
- Title of the submission
- Civility 101
- Type of submission
- Author of the submission
- Fabrice Florin
- E-mail address
- Fabrice Florin (WMF)
- Country of origin
- Affiliation, if any (organisation, company etc.)
- Wikimedia Foundation
- Personal homepage or blog
Join a roundtable discussion on how to grow a culture of civility and kindness in the Wikimedia movement.
Despite our best intentions, participating on Wikipedia can be a frustrating experience for newcomers and experienced editors alike, due to a lack of civility among some of our members. Hostile behavior tends to turn away many qualified individuals who would love to contribute to our cause, and it harms us all as a movement.
In this session, we will aim to identify root causes for this issue, and discuss a few possible solutions that could address this cultural challenge over time.
We we will start with a short presentation of key research findings that might inform our discussion.
We will then discuss best practices for growing civility in our movement, inviting suggestions from participants, with questions like:
- How can we learn to interact with each other with more tact and in a more trusting way?
- How can we help each other become more friendly and effective collaborators?
- What interaction approaches seem to be working to make that happen? why?
- What approaches have we tried that didn't work so well? why?
- How can other community members benefit from what we’ve learned individually?
After this discussion, we aim to create together a short list of best practices that could be turned into a 'Civility 101' set of practical guidelines, to be shared widely with community members.
Note: We also invite you to participate in these separate, but related sessions:
- WikiCulture & Community
- Length of session
- 30 minutes (if time allows, we would appreciate another 30 minutes for a more productive discussion, for a total of 60 minutes)
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
- Slides or further information (optional)
- to be added later
- Special requests
- It would be great if we could move the chairs in a semi-circle, so participants can face each other during the discussion period.
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with a hash and four tildes. (# ~~~~).
- CT Cooper · talk 17:36, 1 March 2015 (UTC)
- KrystleChung (talk) 20:26, 1 March 2015 (UTC)
- Ocaasi (talk) 16:49, 2 March 2015 (UTC)
- Panyd (talk) 17:33, 7 March 2015 (UTC)
- Varnent (talk) 22:01, 8 March 2015 (UTC)
- Trans Goat (talk) 10:18, 11 March 2015 (UTC)
- GeorgeLouis (talk) 20:50, 14 March 2015 (UTC)
- Djembayz (talk) 23:14, 15 March 2015 (UTC)
- WereSpielChequers (talk) 17:54, 15 May 2015 (UTC)
- Add your username here.