Submissions/Burning down the house: Engineering teams communicating externally
After careful consideration, the Programme Committee has decided not to accept the below submission at this time. Thank you to the author(s) for participating in the Wikimania 2015 programme submission, we hope to still see you at Wikimania this July.
- Submission no.
- Title of the submission
- Burning down the house: Engineering teams communicating externally
- Type of submission (discussion, hot seat, panel, presentation, tutorial, workshop)
- Author of the submission
- Kristen Lans, Arthur Richards, Grace Gellerman, Kevin Smith
- E-mail address
- KLans (WMF)
- Country of origin
- Affiliation, if any (organisation, company etc.)
- Wikimedia Foundation
- Personal homepage or blog
- Abstract (at least 300 words to describe your proposal)
Wikimedia Foundation engineering teams have a number of ways that they organize and visualize their work, such as burndown charts, backlogs, and workboards. In addition to helping teams work together and communicate internally, these tools can provide useful information beyond the immediate team. In this session, we’ll explore some of these tools and techniques, providing examples and explanations of how various WMF Engineering teams are using them to work together and communicate with their stakeholders. We will then facilitate a discussion around the following questions: How effective are these tools and the ways teams are using them at communicating information? What's working well and what's not working well? How can teams better leverage these tools to improve how information is conveyed to the broader community? What are the benefits and tradeoffs of using these tools in an open, public community context? What is the level of awareness about these tools, and how easy are they to find?
- WikiCulture & Community
- Length of session (if other than 30 minutes, specify how long)
- 60 minutes would be ideal, but willing to do 30 minutes if necessary
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
- Not sure
- Slides or further information (optional)
- Special requests
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with a hash and four tildes. (# ~~~~).