Submissions/Build your site using MediaWiki + Lua scripting
After careful consideration, the Programme Committee has decided not to accept the below submission at this time. Thank you to the author(s) for participating in the Wikimania 2015 programme submission, we hope to still see you at Wikimania this July.
- Submission no.
- Title of the submission
- Build your site using MediaWiki + Lua scripting
- Type of submission (discussion, hot seat, panel, presentation, tutorial, workshop)
- Author of the submission
- Yuri Astrakhan
- E-mail address
- Country of origin
- Affiliation, if any (organisation, company etc.)
- Personal homepage or blog
- Abstract (at least 300 words to describe your proposal)
Wikipedia Zero team needed a portal to allow our partners to access private data and manage their settings. The portal also had to walk them through the sign up process. We could have built the whole site from scratch or on top of some platform we know nothing about. Instead, we chose to apply our MediaWiki expertise in a creative way. We implemented a locked-down wiki, hacked together some CSS overrides, and within a few weeks had a fully working site that benefited from all Wiki technology like authentication, templates, Lua scripting, revision history, and change notification, yet looked nothing like a wiki. As the result, our non-technical admin team can change content in seconds, and most behavior changes can be done without complex PHP code development & deployment. The site looks and functions nothing like a wiki to anonymous or logged-in non-admin users
- Technology, Interface & Infrastructure
- Length of session (if other than 30 minutes, specify how long)
- 30 minutes
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
- Slides or further information (optional)
- Special requests
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with a hash and four tildes. (# ~~~~).
- Daniel Mietchen (talk) 12:39, 28 February 2015 (UTC)
- Amir E. Aharoni (talk) 14:38, 6 March 2015 (UTC)