Submissions/Art+Feminism Campaign: Lessons Learned
After careful consideration, the Programme Committee has decided not to accept the below submission at this time. Thank you to the author(s) for participating in the Wikimania 2015 programme submission, we hope to still see you at Wikimania this July.
- Submission no.
- Title of the submission
- Art+Feminism Campaign: Lessons Learned
- Type of submission (discussion, hot seat, panel, presentation, tutorial, workshop)
- Author of the submission
- Dorothy Howard, User:OR drohowa
- E-mail address
- User:OR drohowa
- Country of origin
- Affiliation, if any (organization, company etc.)
- Art+Feminism, Wikimedia NYC, Wikipedian-in Residence METRO Library Council
- Personal homepage or blog
ArtAndFeminism (sometimes stylized as Art+Feminism) is a campaign to improve coverage of women and the arts on Wikipedia. Wikipedia's gender trouble is well documented. In a 2011 survey, Wikimedia found that less than 13% of its contributors are female. The reasons for the gender gap are up for debate: suggestions include leisure inequality, how gender socialization shapes public comportment, and the contentious nature of Wikipedia's talk pages. The practical effect of this disparity, however, is not. Content is skewed by the lack of female participation. The Art+Feminism campaign's 2nd annual International Women's Day Edit-a-thon's, taking place primarily on March 7th and 8th, but throughout the month of March, include some 60 Edit-a-thons internationally. This presentation will present a reflect on scaling up campaigns for the coverage of women in Wikipedia, thoughts on large scale, issue-driven campaigns on Wikipedia, and thoughts, learnings, and "what went wrong-s."
Results and reflections on this year's series-of-events will also be discussed by a few guests who organized some of the Art+Feminism satellite events this year.
- WikiCulture & Community
- Length of session (if other than 30 minutes, specify how long)
- 30 minutes
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
- Slides or further information (optional)
- Special requests
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with a hash and four tildes. (# ~~~~).
- Blue Rasberry (talk) 00:54, 1 March 2015 (UTC)
- Ocaasi (talk) 16:34, 2 March 2015 (UTC)
- Sadads (talk) 17:19, 2 March 2015 (UTC)
- -Another Believer (talk) 18:38, 4 March 2015 (UTC)
- guillom (talk) 23:52, 7 March 2015 (UTC)
- Trans Goat (talk) 10:18, 11 March 2015 (UTC)
- --Netha Hussain (talk) 17:39, 19 April 2015 (UTC)
- --Alexdevil (talk) 21:25, 27 April 2015 (UTC)
- Add your username here.