Submissions/Accidental Canon and Other Lessons From Building Digital Libraries
This is an accepted submission for Wikimania 2015.
- Submission no.
- Title of the submission
- Accidental Canon and Other Lessons From Building Digital Libraries
- Type of submission (discussion, hot seat, panel, presentation, tutorial, workshop)
- Author of the submission
- Asaf Bartov
- E-mail address
- Country of origin
- Affiliation, if any (organisation, company etc.)
- Project Ben-Yehuda
- Personal homepage or blog
- Project Ben-Yehuda's Blog (Hebrew)
- Abstract (at least 300 words to describe your proposal)
- In 1999, I started typing public domain Hebrew poetry into my home computer. 16 years and hundreds of additional volunteers later, I am running the largest and most important public repository of secular Hebrew literature. In other words, I have become an accidental librarian! And that taught me fascinating lessons and made me realize some broad cultural implications.
For example, our volunteer actions have accidentally created a new canon of older Hebrew works; Some surprising re-use has already emerged; we have accidentally become perceived authorities on these works.
I will present and discuss these and other lessons from my own experience and draw some parallels (e.g. to the Internet Archive).
- Legal & Free Culture
- Length of session (if other than 30 minutes, specify how long)
- 30 minutes
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
- Slides or further information (optional)
- Special requests
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with a hash and four tildes. (# ~~~~).
- Daniel Mietchen (talk) 23:29, 18 February 2015 (UTC)
- Saileshpat (talk) 00:24, 19 February 2015 (UTC)
- Satdeep Gill (talk) 02:59, 19 February 2015 (UTC)
- Touzrimounir (talk) 09:00, 19 February 2015 (UTC)
- Joalpe (talk) 03:46, 20 February 2015 (UTC)
- Quiddity (WMF) (talk) 02:43, 28 February 2015 (UTC)
- Ocaasi (talk) 16:20, 2 March 2015 (UTC)
- --アンタナナ 23:30, 22 May 2015 (UTC)
- Add your username here.