Submissions/A system to cite all open access papers on Wikipedia
This is an accepted submission for Wikimania 2015.
- Submission no.
- Title of the submission
Open Access Reader: a system to cite all OA papers
- Type of submission (discussion, hot seat, panel, presentation, tutorial, workshop)
Presentation & Q&A
- Author of the submission
- Edward Saperia
- E-mail address
- Country of origin
- Affiliation, if any (organisation, company etc.)
- WMF IEG grant. And I ran Wikimania last year, does that count? :)
- Personal homepage or blog
- Add me on Facebook!
The amount of academic work being released free-to-read online is growing very fast, and there are now a few aggregator projects springing up that hold the metadata for tens of millions of papers. One interesting thing we can do with this resource is find papers that are both influential and aren't cited in Wikipedia yet; notably, a project to cite them is composed of discrete and measurable but still significant pieces of work, ideal for crowdsourcing. We propose the creation of a tool that guides a contributor through finding, summarising and citing a missing paper in a relevant Wikipedia article, suitable for beginner or serious editor alike. We will demonstrate a proof of concept, sketch out a roadmap for the project and ask for feedback and advice.
This is an update on Open Access Reader, which was awarded an IEG grant in September 2014.
- Free Culture OR Community OR Technology
- Length of session (if other than 30 minutes, specify how long)
- 30 minutes
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with a hash and four tildes. (# ~~~~).
- Daniel Mietchen (talk) 12:02, 26 February 2015 (UTC)
- Slowking4 (talk) 19:04, 26 February 2015 (UTC)
- Jan Ainali (WMSE) (talk) 05:44, 10 July 2015 (UTC)
- Sage (Wiki Ed) (talk) 23:50, 26 February 2015 (UTC)
- Ocaasi (talk) 16:20, 2 March 2015 (UTC)
- Mrjohncummings (talk) 15:47, 20 April 2015 (UTC)
- Add your username here.