Wikimania 2015, the 11th annual international conference of the Wikimedia movement, is being held between 15 and 19 July 2015 in Mexico City, Mexico. The Wikimedia Foundation Scholarships Program is offering a limited number of scholarships to offset the cost of selected individuals' attendance at Wikimania using funding provided by the Wikimedia Foundation (WMF).
La anticipita templinio por la Vikimedia Fondaĵo Stipendioj Programo estas kiel sekvas:
Stipendio aplikoj malfermita: Lundo 19 Januaro 2015 Findato por aplikanta por stipendioj: Lundo 16 Februaro 2015 23:59 UTC Phase 1 eligibility assessment by the WMF: Last two weeks of February 2015 Applicants are notified about Phase 1 decisions: Early March 2015 Phase 2 in-depth evaluations by the Scholarship Committee: March – April 2015 Applicants are notified about final decisions: During the week of April 6-12, 2015 The final list of recipients is announced: Mid-April 2015
- Por fari Vikimanio 2015 sukcesa kaj produktiva internacia konferenco, instigante sperto dividi inter partoprenantoj en ambaŭ sur-vikio kaj ekstere-vikio temoj
- Por riĉigi la konferencon per ebligante diversa grupo de partoprenantoj de trans la Vikimedia movado ĉeesti
- Havigi la larĝan riĉigo vikiajn komunumoj, por havi partoprenantojn dividi liajn Vikimanio spertoj kaj lecionoj lernitaj kun ilia hejmo komunumoj
- Por ebligi novajn kunlaboradoj, kreaĵoj kaj plibonigoj
Stipendioj premiita de la WMF kovros elspezojn por:
- Ronda vojaĝo vojaĝoj
- Dividitaj gastigado
- Konferenco kotizojn
Partial scholarships are no longer offered by the WMF. Please see the FAQ for more information on what expenses are covered by scholarships, and which expenses recipients are expected to cover at their own expense.
Any active contributor to a Wikimedia project, or Wikimedia volunteer in any other capacity, from anywhere in the world, is considered eligible for a scholarship. As the program supports volunteer participation, individuals whose participation is tied to paid work are not eligible for a scholarship.
Unlike in previous years, activity within the Wikimedia movement will be the main criteria for evaluation. Participation in non-Wikimedia free knowledge, free software, collaborative or educational initiatives is a plus but is no longer a requirement; individuals who solely contribute to such areas are no longer encouraged to apply. Please see the FAQ for more information on eligibility.
The selection process for the 2015 Wikimania Scholarship Program has been updated after collecting, discussing, and integrating feedback from scholarship applicants, recipients, Wikimania organizers, the Scholarship Committee and WMF staff. As such, the 2015 selection process will follow three phases of assessment and evaluation, to determine the final recipients, as follows:
- Fazo 1 - elegibilidad pritakso
- All applications will be reviewed by a staff member of the WMF, with a score of zero (fail) or one (pass) awarded on an application-by-application basis using the Phase 1 selection criteria. All applicants will be notified by e-mail on whether their application has passed or failed once this phase of review is completed.
- Fazo 2 - En-profundo evaluación
- All applications that pass Phase 1 will be reviewed in more detail by the Scholarship Committee, with a minimum of three reviewers per application. Each reviewer will independently review and score each application against the Phase 2 selection criteria, in order to reach a final score for each application.
- Fazo 3 - Fina aprobo
- Based on the applicant's home country, each applicant will be categorized as either a Global North or Global South applicant, with the total number of scholarships distributed between the Global North and Global South being set at 25% and 75% respectively.
- For both Global North and Global South groups, based on the applicant's "primary language community on wiki" (self-reported in the application), applicants will be separated by the size of the active editor community on their most active Wikimedia project, as determined by the average number of active Wikimedians per month (over the time period September 2013 to September 2014). Scholarships will be allocated equally across these sub-groups, defined as follows:
- ** Granda lingvokomunumo - Averaĝa nombro de aktivaj Wikimedians monate estas super 1000
- Medium language community – Average number of active Wikimedians per month is below 1000 but above 100
- Small language community – Average number of active Wikimedians per month is below 100
- Multilingual community – Applicants whose most active Wikimedia project is Commons, Species, Data, Incubator, MediaWiki or Tool Labs (where "most active project" is self-reported on the application) will be placed into this category, as language communities aren't as relevant.
- The WMF will determine the total budget available and make estimations on per-applicant costs (for example, someone attending Wikimania 2015 from South Africa will require different levels of financial assistance than someone attending from Panama). Top scoring Phase 2 applicants in each sub-group will be awarded a scholarship.
- ** Por solicitantes ene 10% de la "vikio", prefero estos unue donita al la ne-masklo solicitante, kaj malĉefa preferon al petantoj de Latinameriko.
- *** La "kortego" estos la partituro asociita kun la lasta stipendio premiitaj en ĉiu subgrupo
- ** Un-uzita stipendioj esti malasignitaj tra la sekva procezo:
- A minimum score will be determined for each sub-group (different for each sub-group), below which applicants will not be considered for final selection. In the event of insufficient applicants with a high-enough score in a particular sub-group, unused scholarships will be equally reallocated to the other sub-groups.
- In the event where there are insufficient applicants with a high-enough score across all sub-groups, unused scholarships will be reallocated to other group (and distributed equally among sub-groups).
Following the completion of Phase 3, a decision will be issued by e-mail to all remaining applicants as to whether their application has been successful or unsuccessful. Those with a successful application will be given the opportunity to confirm their attendance at Wikimania 2015 and their acceptance of the awarded scholarship. A few applicants will be placed on a waiting list; these applications may be awarded a scholarship at a later date depending on the acceptance rate of successful applicants and whether resource use by scholarship recipients is as estimated.
Aplikoj malsukcesos Fazo 1 se ajnan de la sekva malsukcesante kriterioj apliki:
- La kandidato estas 2014 stipendio ricevonto ke ne kompletigis lian post-konferenco raporto.
- La apliko tute aŭ ĉefe konsistas el enhavo kiu estas ekstere temon aŭ abusivo.
- La kandidato havas malsukcesis fari racian peno por respondi la demandojn sur la aligxilo.
- The applicant has failed to provide evidence of English language abilities that are at a level which would enable them to participate in Wikimania, a conference which is primarily conducted in English. Sufficient English abilities could be demonstrated in the application itself or elsewhere.
- La kandidato havas malsukcesis pruvi ajnan signifan Vikimedia kontribuoj aŭ agadoj kiu povas meriti la adjudicación de stipendio.
- Ekzemploj de "signifa Vikimedia kontribuo aŭ agadoj" estas kiel sekvas:
- Active contributor to a Wikimedia project (e.g. Wikipedia, Commons or Wikisource), with at least 50 contributions (edits)
- Mediawiki code contributor, gadget or other tool-builder for Wikimedia projects
- Involvement in some form of Wikimedia organization (chapter, thematic organization or user group)
- Wikimedia CheckUser, Admin, Bureaucrat, Steward or OTRS volunteer (current or former)
- Wikimedia Foundation Grantee
- Wikimedia Researcher
- Participant in a Wikimedia program (e.g. GLAM partnership or education program)
- Participant in Wikimedia organized events (e.g. photographer contributing to Wiki Loves Monuments (WLM), workshop attendee)
- Organizer of Wikimedia events (e.g. WLM, edit-a-thons)
- Ekzemploj de "signifa Vikimedia kontribuo aŭ agadoj" estas kiel sekvas:
Applications for which no failing criteria apply will pass into Phase 2 for further evaluation.
During phase two, applicants will be assessed on two main dimensions – relevant experience and enrichment – with each applicant being awarded a score on a scale of zero to ten for each criterion. These scores are then averaged to give an applicant's final Phase 2 score. These criteria have been selected with the objective of highlighting applicants who have compelling Wikimedia-related experiences and demonstrate a particular ability to use their experience/learning to enrich their home community.
Activity within Wikimedia projects or organizations (chapters, thematic organizations, and user groups) indicates that an applicant will add value to Wikimania through the experiences and knowledge they have gained from contributing. Applicants are encouraged to write about both their online and offline experiences within their applications.
An applicant's activities will be evaluated along the following three dimensions:
- Collaboration – The degree of collaboration with other individuals or organizations in order to execute activities
- Impact – Online or offline results due to Wikimedia activities, described either quantitatively or qualitatively
- Community leadership – Role(s) played and scope of activities within the Wikimedia movement, e.g. members who serve on committees or project leaders
To assist applicants, the following examples of "Impact" have been provided. However, applicants should feel free to provide examples beyond what is included below:
|Enreta Trafo||Malenreta Trafo|
The ability to share experiences and information with a wider community indicates that the applicant, if awarded a scholarship, would be able to bring those experiences or lessons learned at Wikimania back home, thereby enriching their home wiki community or home country. Applicants are encouraged to write about or provide examples demonstrating this ability; a few examples could be on-wiki reports, personal blog posts, or talks/presentations given about what they learned from an event, conference, or discussion.
For more information about the Wikimedia Foundation Scholarships Program, please visit the frequently asked questions (FAQ) page.
To apply for a scholarship to attend Wikimania 2015 in Mexico City, please submit a completed application form by 16 February 2015 23:59 UTC. It is highly recommended that applicants review all the material on this page and in the FAQ before submitting an application.
Scholarships offered by Wikimedia organizations
The following Wikimedia organizations will collect scholarship applications from those submitted to the Wikimedia Foundation Scholarships Program – there will be no need for applicants to submit a separate application to the Wikimedia organization listed below.
- Wikimedia Hungary
The following Wikimedia organizations will offer scholarships, but will not make use of applications to the Wikimedia Foundation Scholarships Program. Wikimedians who are interested in receiving a scholarship from them, are invited to apply to the Wikimedia organization directly.