Submissions/Wikimedian in Residence at UNESCO collaboration workshop
This is an accepted submission for Wikimania 2015.
- Submission no.
- Title of the submission
Wikimedian in Residence at UNESCO collaboration workshop
- Type of submission (discussion, hot seat, panel, presentation, tutorial, workshop)
- Author of the submission
- E-mail address
- Country of origin
- Affiliation, if any (organisation, company etc.)
- Personal homepage or blog
- Abstract (at least 300 words to describe your proposal)
A short presentation of the current outcomes of the Wikimedian in Residence at UNESCO project including content released from it’s archives and examples of how Wikimedia and UNESCO can benefit from cooperation to achieve their shared goals.
- ‘’“UNESCO strives to build networks among nations that enable this kind of solidarity, by mobilizing for education: so that every child, boy or girl, has access to quality education as a fundamental human right and as a prerequisite for human development.”’’
- ‘’“Wikimedia is a global movement whose mission is to bring free educational content to the world.”’’
This will be followed by a workshop exploring possibilities for Wikimedia organisations and individuals collaborating with UNESCO and it's partner organisations, including the opportunities of Wikipedia Zero to reach underserved communities.
The aim of the project is for organisations working in all UNESCO's fields of competence - education, culture, natural, social and human sciences, communication and information - to more easily, frequently and successfully share their knowledge, content and data with the world through Wikimedia projects, to understand the possibilities and impact of doing so, and to encourage other organisations working in these fields to do the same.
1. Train UNESCO and its partner organisations to contribute to Wikimedia projects: The project will create and improve content receiving 100,000,000 views per year on Wikimedia projects, educate 1000 people in over 200 organisations to learn more about Wikimedia projects. This will include 500 newly registered users trained to contribute to Wikimedia projects and 500 articles formally reviewed by experts.
2. Make content from the archives of UNESCO and its partners available on Wikimedia projects: This project will facilitate the upload of 30,000 images, audio files, videos, data and other content to Wikimedia projects from UNESCO archives (24,000 images), UNESCO Institute for Statistics (UIS)and other sources including 10 organisations changing their content license to be Wikimedia compatible.
3. Create a model and resources to encourage other UN organisations and their partner organisations to engage with Wikimedia: We will create a comprehensive how-to handbook (documentation and a tool chain) which will be an amalgam of existing resources and new resources created by myself and the wider Wikimedia community. This project will act as a model that can be followed by other UN agencies and their partners to open up their content and engage with Wikimedia and the wider open education movement.
4. Disseminate and promote information on the project and its outcomes, open licensing and engaging with Wikimedia: To make information about and produced by the project as widely as possible with the aim of moving further towards making open licensing the standard for scientific, cultural and educational organisations and engagement with Wikimedia common practice.
- GLAM Outreach
- Length of session (if other than 30 minutes, specify how long)
- 30 minutes
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
- Slides or further information
- Special requests
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with a hash and four tildes. (# ~~~~).
- Daniel Mietchen (talk) 03:15, 15 February 2015 (UTC)
- WereSpielChequers (talk) 18:15, 18 February 2015 (UTC)
- Blue Rasberry (talk) 15:36, 19 February 2015 (UTC)
- NavinoEvans (talk) 00:06, 26 February 2015 (UTC)
- Christian Cariño (talk) 08:12, 6 March 2015 (UTC)
- Poco a poco (talk) 08:53, 12 July 2015 (UTC)
- MRG90 (talk) 14:38, 18 July 2015 (UTC)
- Tech Historia