Submissions/The popularization of Science within the Tunisian Society through the creation of Tunisian Spoken Arabic Wikipedia
After careful consideration, the Programme Committee has decided not to accept the below submission at this time. Thank you to the author(s) for participating in the Wikimania 2015 programme submission, we hope to still see you at Wikimania this July.
- Submission no.
- Title of the submission
- The popularization of Science within the Tunisian Society through the creation of Tunisian Spoken Arabic Wikipedia
- Type of submission (discussion, hot seat, panel, presentation, tutorial, workshop)
- Author of the submission
- Houcemeddine Turki
- E-mail address
- Country of origin
- Affiliation, if any (organisation, company etc.)
- B.Sc. Student, Faculty of Medicine of Sfax, University of Sfax, Tunisia
- Personal homepage or blog
- Abstract (at least 300 words to describe your proposal)
- The popularization of Science had been so far one of the most important issues of the Scientific Range worldwide. In this context, Wikimedia Foundation had created Wikipedia Project in 2003. That is why Wikimedia Foundation had supported all trials to translate Wikipedia and create Wikipedias in Regional Languages and Dialects. However, Dialectal Arabic Wikipedia Projects had been blocked in their first step excepting Egyptian Arabic Wikipedia due to the difficulty of doing translations using Arabic Letters because of Computer Requirements and the difficulty in doing it using Latin Letters because of some matters of the lack of Adaptation of Arabic Dialects to Latin Letters other than some problems related to popular thoughts of Arabic Countries about Latin writing of Spoken Arabic Dialects and the usefulness of such projects in promoting Tunisian Culture and Scientific Skills of Tunisian People. In 2013, after Tunisian Spoken Arabic Wikipedia became quite blocked, Jihed Mejrissi had created sTUNdard, the first existing set of configurations to use Latin Letters in writing Tunisian Spoken Arabic. Though this initiative was exceptional and though it is was adopted then by an organization, it suffered from some weaknesses of syntax. In 2015, Houcemeddine Turki had discovered through the analysis of TranslateWiki Statistics and some applied important experiences that the problem of the adaptation of Latin Letters to Tunisian Arabic was not caused by a lack of possibility of Adaptation of Latin Letters to Tunisian Arabic. But, the problem was just in the structure of sTUNdard itself. He proposed a new sTUNdard 4.0 and predicted that the new sTUNdard can help Tunisian Arabic and other Arabic Wikimedia Projects to achieve a rate of completion of the Translation of The Wikis of 36 pc. By that, new Wikimedia Projects would be created causing an important influence on at least 81882754 people. So, if the Tunisian Arabic Wikipedia would be created, it will promote the interested audience of Wikimedia Projects and will help promoting the Cultural Knowledge of the societies of Arab Countries which would be needed mainly for the construction of the Arab Countries that had a revolution during the so called Arab Spring in the Period of January 2011.
- Education Outreach
- Length of session (if other than 30 minutes, specify how long)
- 30 minutes
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
- Slides or further information (optional)
- This submission is based on the personal experience of Houcemeddine Turki in developing Tunisian Spoken Arabic Wikipedia. The Reference Literature of this work is "On the Standardization of Tunisian" of Mr. Jihed Mejrissi and "Usefulness and Methods of optimization of sTUNdard Typing in writing Wikimedia Projects in Tunisian Arabic in order to use it for the Popularization of Science Purposes" of Houcemeddine A. Turki.
- Special requests
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with a hash and four tildes. (# ~~~~).