Submissions/Recovering the historic memory and building social capital with Wikipedia: Students of public elementary schools as knowledge producers
After careful consideration, the Programme Committee has decided not to accept the below submission at this time. Thank you to the author(s) for participating in the Wikimania 2015 programme submission, we hope to still see you at Wikimania this July.
- Submission no.
- Title of the submission
- Recovering the historic memory and building social capital with Wikipedia: Students of public elementary schools as knowledge producers
- Type of submission (discussion, hot seat, panel, presentation, tutorial, workshop)
- Author of the submission
- Juan Carlos Olmedo, Paola Ricaurte, Jacob Bañuelos
- E-mail address
- Country of origin
- Affiliation, if any (organisation, company etc.)
- Tecnológico de Monterrey
- Personal homepage or blog
- Abstract (at least 300 words to describe your proposal)
Wikipedia is a powerful learning tool, but also allows the achievement of relevant formative outcomes among students. The purpose of this presentation is to show the main results of Wiki-Mati, an on-going project focused in recovering the historic memory of the neighborhoods developed by 5th grade students (10 to 12 years old) of three public elementary schools in Mexico City. This project: 1. Boosts the digital and knowledge empowerment of children through the production of content for Wikipedia (images and articles) 2. Fosters the development of social capital among the community by the documentation of its inhabitants’ history and life, and the development of ties between the school and the community 3. Encourages community engagement by involving teachers, students, parents and neighbors.
The implementation of the project folowed these stages:
1. Training workshops: Wikipedia pillars and basic edition, offered to the principals and teachers of the three elementary schools
2. Selection of participating students: through invitations and/or contests (writing,reading or social service) defined by each school’s staff.
3. Smartphone loan: Each selected student received in loan an smartphone to record the interviews, take pictures and video, and to access Wikipedia pages
4. Research and compilation of documentary sources, interviews to community members, and field trips to surrounding school’s areas
4. Photography workshops and photo shooting session around the neighborhoods, with the support of teachers and social service students
6. Final composition of the article with the assessment of their teachers and selection of the best pictures in order to upload them to Wikimedia Commons an to integrate the final version.
7. Publishing in Wikipedia: Colonia Ajusco []
Wiki-Mati contributes to the development of reading, writing, research and documentation skills among students. Encourages collaborative work and service based learning. With this Project, both social and learning purposes are achieved. Our contention is that despite multiple challenges, working with Wikipedia at early stages of the learning process promotes the development of basic cognitive competencies and values related to collective knowledge production, cultural memory, team work, identity and community.
- Education Outreach
- Length of session (if other than 30 minutes, specify how long)
- 30 minutes
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
- Slides or further information (optional)
- Special requests
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with a hash and four tildes. (# ~~~~).
- Paolaricaurte (talk) 06:48, 28 February 2015 (UTC)
- Daniel Mietchen (talk) 12:45, 28 February 2015 (UTC)
- AKoval (WMF) (talk) 18:36, 28 February 2015 (UTC)
- Charlie --Charles Jeffrey Danoff (talk) 01:20, 2 March 2015 (UTC)
- Arided (talk) 07:37, 2 March 2015 (UTC)
- FKoudijs (WMF) (talk) 17:02, 2 March 2015 (UTC)
- # ~~~~ Juan Carlos Olmedo
- Yierva (talk) 23:27, 2 March 2015 (UTC)
- TFlanagan-WMF (talk) 16:29, 3 March 2015 (UTC)
- Margott (talk) 13:16, 4 March 2015 (UTC)
- Mrjohncummings (talk) 19:12, 9 March 2015 (UTC)
- --Selsharbaty (WMF) (talk) 18:19, 11 March 2015 (UTC)