Submissions/Playground, school or library? A wiki for children
This is an accepted submission for Wikimania 2015.
- Submission no.
- Title of the submission
Playground, school or library? A wiki for children
- Type of submission (discussion, hot seat, panel, presentation, tutorial, workshop)
- Author of the submission
Ziko, Ziko van Dijk
- E-mail address
- Country of origin
Germany, living in the Netherlands
- Affiliation, if any (organisation, company etc.)
- Personal homepage or blog
- Abstract (at least 300 words to describe your proposal)
Imagine a wiki encyclopedia for children. A Wikipedia for children, with suitable content for this target group. Isn't it rather obvious that such a website would be a great idea? How comes, after so many years, that we have no such Wikipedia for children?
The board of the Wikimedia Foundation already in 2010 called for a wiki encyclopedia with children suited content, in the wake of the image filter discussion. In 2013, there was a serious attempt to ask the Wikimedia Foundation for a new sister project. Suddenly it was withdrawn.
At the moment, there are several wiki websites with a specific regard to children. It seems that all of them have their base in Europe: Vikidia in France, Wikikids in the Netherlands, Wikimini in Switzerland and Sweden, Grundschulwiki and Klexikon in Germany. Some see themselves as platforms to create content, others as educational platforms. Two of them where created as early as in 2006. The last one was established only in 2014.
This presentation gives a short historical overview and concentrates on the different models for a 'wiki for children'. Those differences made it difficult for the existing wikis to cooperate. Besides, cooperation is something most volunteers cannot afford simply because of the time and energy it costs. Even Vikidia that created several language versions, remains essentially a French endavour, as it is hard to find partners in other countries.
A wiki for children or by children? was the question Mathias Damour and others discussed on Meta Wiki. Many people are eager to answer: both. Wikipedians want a wiki to be edited by its readers, and teachers are fond of children who teach other children. Possibly you cannot have both – it is as if people wish for an institution that is a playground, a school and a library at the same time.
- Education Outreach
- Length of session (if other than 30 minutes, specify how long)
- 30 minutes
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
- Slides or further information (optional)
Klexikon report in English
- Special requests
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with a hash and four tildes. (# ~~~~).
- --Karen vera03 (talk) 18:06, 7 February 2015 (UTC)
- --Pamela Urquiza (talk) 18:09, 7 February 2015 (UTC)
- AKoval (WMF) (talk) 18:37, 28 February 2015 (UTC)
- Adamw (talk) 18:38, 2 March 2015 (UTC)
- CT Cooper · talk 22:05, 2 March 2015 (UTC)
- Orderinchaos (talk) 22:23, 2 March 2015 (UTC)
- MarkAHershberger (talk) 10:26, 8 March 2015 (UTC)
- --Selsharbaty (WMF) (talk) 16:37, 8 March 2015 (UTC)
- Mrjohncummings (talk) 19:40, 9 March 2015 (UTC)
- --アンタナナ 23:15, 22 May 2015 (UTC)
- Denis Barthel (talk) 21:30, 2 June 2015 (UTC)
- --Taweetham (talk) 21:36, 17 July 2015 (UTC)