Submissions/New forms of engagement with the past: Public Archaeology & Wikipedia
After careful consideration, the Programme Committee has decided not to accept the below submission at this time. Thank you to the author(s) for participating in the Wikimania 2015 programme submission, we hope to still see you at Wikimania this July.
- Submission no.
- Title of the submission
- New forms of engagement with the past: Public Archaeology & Wikipedia
- Type of submission (discussion, hot seat, panel, presentation, tutorial, workshop)
- Author of the submission
- Eduardo A. Escalante Carrillo
- E-mail address
- Eduardo Escalante
- Country of origin
- Affiliation, if any (organisation, company etc.)
- Instituto Nacional de Antropología e Historia
- Personal homepage or blog
- Abstract (at least 300 words to describe your proposal)
In archaeology, the use of digital media have been considered as a strategy to get the people closer to their cultural heritage in a new level of displaying data in order to experience the archaeological information that is available not only in academic books or journals. Under this framework, the development of Information Communication Technologies (ICTs) which includes any communication device or application (radio, television, mobile phones, computer and network hardware and software, satellite systems, etcetera [Buhalis et al 2006: 125]) provides with new opportunities for archaeology to communicate and reach broader audiences, since that the propagation of the information is (or should be) a key aim in every archaeological or cultural organization. Therefore the ways to communicate and engage with the public within archaeology through the media can be approached in many perspectives. Archaeology engages with the public communicating the wide cultural heritage variety of landscapes, sites, monuments, museums, research publications and interpretations through different media resources, being the multimedia opportunities within the internet the one which could have a major impact on the present. Thus, the use of multimedia resources in archaeology could be considered as a multivocal strategy, referring to no just a plurality on different use of ways of communication, but an engagement beyond publications. On this presentation, I will explain the theoretical framework of Public Archaeology under which Wikipedia have an important role throughout the new forms of engagement with the past and also with the wider audiences, from where the responsibility of archaeology professionals has an impact or have to have, on Wikipedia entries about archaeological heritage. I will develop the subject particularly for the Mexican scenario. Questions as ‘how’, ‘who’ and ‘what for’ are also going to be considered in order to survey the outline social context and interests alongside the use of digital media in archaeology, in the particular case of Wikipedia.
- Education Outreach
- Length of session (if other than 30 minutes, specify how long)
- 30 minutes
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
- Slides or further information (optional)
- My presentation could be also part of the track GLAM Outreach, considering archaeological sites as part of GLAM fundaments.
- Special requests
- Presentation would be better on the afternoon.
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with a hash and four tildes. (# ~~~~).