Submissions/From papers to Wikipedia, from Wikipedia to papers. Scientists editing.
After careful consideration, the Programme Committee has decided not to accept the below submission at this time. Thank you to the author(s) for participating in the Wikimania 2015 programme submission, we hope to still see you at Wikimania this July.
- Submission no.
- Title of the submission
From papers to Wikipedia, from Wikipedia to papers. Scientists editing.
- Type of submission (discussion, hot seat, panel, presentation, tutorial, workshop)
- Author of the submission
- E-mail address
- Country of origin
- Affiliation, if any (organisation, company etc.)
- Personal homepage or blog
- Abstract (at least 300 words to describe your proposal)
One of the main challenges faced by Wikipedia, is credibility, especially by the scientific community. However, more institutions in Mexico and the world are been adding to edit the online encyclopedia, creating and improving articles of scientific content. The relevance of the collaborations that WMMX currently has with institutions such as UNAM or CONABIO, increases when its members turns on valuable editors of the encyclopedia, breaking the barrier of subscriptions and the long waiting times to access the last scientific updates and discoverings, because some articles are available just paying a fee.
Another advantage of involve the scientific community in the creation and edition of articles, is that they have an adequate and updated archive to integrate as reference, with this, the possibility of consulting the original papers is also expanded and improves the content quality of Wikipedia articles that people can consult for free.
- Education Outreach
- Length of session (if other than 30 minutes, specify how long)
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
Yes, I will.
- Slides or further information (optional)
- Special requests
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with a hash and four tildes. (# ~~~~).
- Daniel Mietchen (talk) 12:08, 28 February 2015 (UTC)
- Open access, yes please! Blue Rasberry (talk) 00:52, 1 March 2015 (UTC)
- Joalpe (talk) 12:18, 1 March 2015 (UTC)
- --Omar sansi (talk) 01:18, 2 March 2015 (UTC)
- --iopensa (talk) 13:39, 2 March 2015 (UTC)
- Ocaasi (talk) 17:59, 3 March 2015 (UTC)
- --Selsharbaty (WMF) (talk) 16:35, 8 March 2015 (UTC)
- Add your username here.