Submissions/Edit-a-thons for bridging the gender gap on Wikimedia
This is an accepted submission for Wikimania 2015.
- Submission no.
- Title of the submission
- Edit-a-thons for bridging the gender gap on Wikimedia
- Type of submission (discussion, hot seat, panel, presentation, tutorial, workshop)
- Author of the submission
- Netha Hussain
- E-mail address
- Country of origin
- India; United States
- Affiliation, if any (organisation, company etc.)
- Wikimedia India, Centre for Internet and Society
- Abstract (at least 300 words to describe your proposal)
An edit-a-thon is an outreach event where experienced editors and newbies improve a specific topic or type of content, typically including basic editing training for new editors.
In 201, the Program Evaluation and Design team of the Wikimedia Foundation found that edit-a-thons are one of the most effective outreach means to increase the quality of content on Wikipedia. According to a 2014 study, edit-a-thons are also one of the most effective means to recruit women and sustain existing women editors on Wikipedia.
The Art and Feminism edit-a-thon, Women’s History Month edit-a-thon and Women scientists edit-a-thon are some of the events that demonstrated success in terms of content creation and participation. The panel will consist of event organizers, program leaders, outreach Wikimedians and researchers.
Our panel discussion will center around using edit-a-thons as an outreach tool among women, measuring its impact and comparing it with other modes of outreach. We’ll also seek solutions for common problems encountered while organizing edit-a-thons. We will present a few case studies to demonstrate successes, failures and best practices learnt from conducting edit-a-thons for women over the years. We’ll also talk about designing edit-a-thons for sister projects of Wikipedia, such as label-a-thon, translate-a-thon and photo-a-thon.
- Netha Hussain, User: Netha Hussain, co-ordinator of Women's History Month events in India
- Subhashish Panigrahi, User:Psubhashish, Centre for Internet and Society, OpenGLAM Local India Ambassador
- Emily Temple-Wood, User:Keilana
- Siko Bouterse, User:Seeeko
- Heather Walls
- Rohini Lakshane, User: Rohini
- Program Evaluation and Designs Survey Results (2013), https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:Evaluation/Evaluation_reports/2013/Edit-a-thons
- Andreas Kolbe (Why women have no time for Wikipedia: Thoughts on the online encyclopedia's gender imbalance) http://www.academia.edu/8098819/Why_women_have_no_time_for_Wikipedia_Thoughts_on_the_online_encyclopedia_s_gender_imbalance
- Wikiculture and Community
- Length of session (if other than 30 minutes, specify how long)
- 30 minutes
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
- Slides or further information (optional)
- Special requests
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with a hash and four tildes. (# ~~~~).