Submissions/An Edit A Day: Collaboration with Medical Institutions
This is an accepted submission for Wikimania 2015.
- Submission no.
- Title of the submission
- Collaboration with Medical Institutions
- Type of submission (discussion, hot seat, panel, presentation, tutorial, workshop)
- Author of the submission
- Emily Temple-Wood (User:Keilana), User:Harej/James Hare
- E-mail address
- User:Emily Temple-Wood (NIOSH)/User:Keilana, User:Harej/James Hare
- Country of origin
- United States
- Affiliation, if any (organisation, company etc.)
- Wikimedia DC, NIOSH (National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health)
- Personal homepage or blog
- Abstract (at least 300 words to describe your proposal)
NIOSH, the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health, is one of the US Federal science/health agencies. A subsidiary of the CDC, NIOSH funds researchers all around the US who work in occupational safety and health in a variety of subfields. Our goals are remarkably aligned. Unlike OSHA, which is tasked with creating legal regulations surrounding occupational safety and health, NIOSH is a research-focused agency. To that end, we will be discussing how conflict of interest issues and community policy have come into play throughout this collaboration, and how we have navigated difficult issues in a way that has benefited the reader above all. Our goal with this partnership is to improve Wikimedia and benefit our readers worldwide, in as many languages as possible.
In January 2015, Emily began her term as Wikipedian-in-Residence there, tasked with improving Wikipedia articles on occupational safety and health topics. In Summer 2015, James will begin his term as Wikipedian-in-Residence, tasked with educating NIOSH personnel about Wikimedia, our partnership, and our work. We will present data on the status of occupational safety and health information on Wikimedia projects, discuss what we are doing in collaboration to improve them, and share details of our collaboration not only with NIOSH, but with occupational safety and health agencies worldwide. We will be joined by at least one representative of NIOSH as well.
- GLAM Outreach
- Length of session (if other than 30 minutes, specify how long)
- 30 minutes
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
- Slides or further information (optional)
- Special requests
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with a hash and four tildes. (# ~~~~).
- Slowking4 (talk) 00:50, 21 February 2015 (UTC)
- Daniel Mietchen (talk) 01:00, 21 February 2015 (UTC)
- Sage (Wiki Ed) (talk) 00:39, 25 February 2015 (UTC)
- Sydney Poore/FloNight
- Quiddity (WMF) (talk) 02:44, 28 February 2015 (UTC)
- Christian Cariño (talk) 01:46, 2 March 2015 (UTC)
- Ocaasi (talk) 16:33, 2 March 2015 (UTC)
- Doc James (talk) 19:07, 11 July 2015 (UTC)
- MRG90 (talk) 14:56, 18 July 2015 (UTC)
- Darafsh Kaviyani (Talk) 21:00, 18 July 2015 (UTC)
- Add your username here.
Scheduled: The presentation is scheduled for Saturday from 10-10:30 in room Don Alberto 4.