Submissions/Activating communities across Africa with Kumusha Takes Wiki and Wiki Loves Africa
This is an accepted submission for Wikimania 2015.
- Submission no.
- Title of the submission
- Activating communities across Africa with Kumusha Takes Wiki and Wiki Loves Africa
- Type of submission
- Author of the submission
- E-mail address
- Country of origin
- France, South Africa
- Affiliation, if any (organisation, company etc.)
- Personal homepage or blog
- http://www.wikiafrica.net/projects/kumusha-takes-wiki/ and http://www.wikilovesafrica.org
- Abstract (at least 300 words to describe your proposal)
Kumusha Takes Wiki was a project that aimed at activating communities across Africa to create and contribute freely-licensed information, texts, images and media about their communities (villages, townships, suburbs, inner cities, etc). Kumusha Takes Wiki project was launched end of 2013 as a pilot project in two countries: Uganda and Ivory Coast and finished in spring 2015. The project also included or was related to an Open Movement Courses and ToolKit, as well as a Kumusha bus (an African adaption of the Libre Bus) and Wiki Loves Africa (photographic contest on the african continent, to feed Wikimedia Commons).
The photographic contest Wiki Loves Africa was held in fall/winter 2014/2015, with a focus theme related to cuisine. It fostered the upload of over 6000 images. 24 local events were held in various countries (e.g., photo hunt, mass upload session etc.).
The organising team proposes to share the story of these two highly connected projects, with the outcomes, the successes as well as the difficulties met, with the Wikimedia Community as part as the current outreach efforts in Africa.
- WikiCulture & Community
- Length of session (if other than 30 minutes, specify how long)
- 30 minutes
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
- of course
- Slides or further information (optional)
- Special requests
- please do not put us in a "diversity" track
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with a hash and four tildes. (# ~~~~).
- --Pineapples100 (talk) 02:02, 14 February 2015 (UTC)
- --Touzrimounir (talk) 19:27, 18 February 2015 (UTC)
- Joalpe (talk) 03:48, 20 February 2015 (UTC)
- KrystleChung (talk) 19:56, 1 March 2015 (UTC)
- --iopensa (talk) 13:37, 2 March 2015 (UTC)
- Ocaasi (talk) 16:31, 2 March 2015 (UTC)
- African Hope (talk) --African Hope (talk) 13:00, 5 March 2015 (UTC)
- Padaguan (talk) 06:46, 16 March 2015 (UTC)
- ShreCk (talk) 18:33, 27 April 2015 (UTC).
- Bachounda (talk) 08:15, 12 May 2015 (UTC)