Submissions/Content Translation workshop for Central & South American Indigenous languages
This is an accepted submission for Wikimania 2015.
- Submission no.
- Title of the submission
Content Translation workshop for Central & South American Indigenous languages
- Type of submission (discussion, hot seat, panel, presentation, tutorial, workshop)
- Author of the submission
- E-mail address
- Country of origin
- Affiliation, if any (organisation, company etc.)
- Personal homepage or blog
- Abstract (at least 300 words to describe your proposal)
In Wikimania 2013, a talk was presented about the challenges and needs for developing content in indigenous languages in Wikimedia projects. The talk mentioned efforts taken by communities based in Central and South America, who are using Wikimedia projects to preserve their language and cultural content. Content Translation is a project that can by its inherent design support this mission. Speakers of indigenous languages are often multilingual and Content Translation provides the tools that can be used to create content quickly and efficiently from one language to another. In this workshop we would like to invite editors to come and try Content Translation, to create new articles and to tell us what changes they would like to see that will help them use Content Translation more efficiently. The primary focus of the workshop is on Central/South American indigenous languages and we would like to make the session bilingual - i.e. in English and Spanish. However, we would not like to restrict the audience and welcome editors from all languages to participate. The workshop will be co-ordinated by members of the Language Engineering team who have developed Content Translation tool.
As this is an editing workshop, we would like to request additional 15-30 minutes for the session and a suitable venue with reliable internet connectivity. Learn more about Content Translation.
- Wikimedia Projects in the Spanish speaking countries
- Length of session (if other than 30 minutes, specify how long)
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
- Slides or further information (optional)
- Special requests
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with a hash and four tildes. (# ~~~~).
- Correogsk or Gustavo (Editrocito or Heme aquí) 00:43, 1 March 2015 (UTC)
- Maor X (talk) 20:18, 8 March 2015 (UTC)
- Djembayz (talk) 23:04, 15 March 2015 (UTC)
- Darafsh Kaviyani (Talk) 16:49, 19 July 2015 (UTC)