Submissions/4 years of the Wikipedia Education Program in Brazil: a professor's retrospective
After careful consideration, the Programme Committee has decided not to accept the below submission at this time. Thank you to the author(s) for participating in the Wikimania 2015 programme submission, we hope to still see you at Wikimania this July.
- Submission no.
- Title of the submission
4 years of the Wikipedia Education Program in Brazil: a professor's retrospective
- Type of submission (discussion, hot seat, panel, presentation, tutorial, workshop)
- Author of the submission
Prof. Dr. Juliana Bastos Marques
- E-mail address
- Country of origin
- Affiliation, if any (organisation, company etc.)
Federal University of Rio de Janeiro State (UNIRIO)
- Personal homepage or blog
- Abstract (at least 300 words to describe your proposal)
It's time also in Brazil for reflecting on teaching experiences with Wikipedia, after four years of trials, errors and successes. Since 2011, I've been teaching several different approaches on university courses, lectures and workshops for different subject areas in Humanities, and established an extension project, with grants for students as campus ambassadors, provided by my university. Outreach with fellow academics in both private conversations and congress talks has shown a very significant amount of excitement and recognition of the importance of this work for information literacy and improving the quality of the Portuguese Wikipedia, but recruiting them for this project has so far been a challenge. Is it because of the barriers between academic work and becoming an (active) editor, or due to lack of a CV reward? Although discussion on the topic will be welcome, my primary goal as a professor is not to discuss the steps taken by the Brazilian Wikimedia Education Project, the implementation of which had a specific, local nature, but to engage in exchange of broad pedagogic solutions which can be helpful for other country projects. In this presentation I introduce the numerous approaches, formats and solutions to teaching that I created in these last years, discussing their strengths and weaknesses, with a goal to exchanging experiences and future approaches with other teachers and ambassadors around the world.
- Length of session (if other than 30 minutes, specify how long)
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
Only if with scholarship
- Slides or further information (optional)
The presentation will be available as a subsection in my user page.
- Special requests
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with a hash and four tildes. (# ~~~~).
- Lechatjaune (talk) 12:54, 11 February 2015 (UTC)
- Ixocactus (talk) 16:30, 11 February 2015 (UTC)
- Joalpe (talk) 03:44, 20 February 2015 (UTC)
- petrohs (gracias) 00:05, 22 February 2015 (UTC)
- I would love to hear a history of the education program in Brazil. Blue Rasberry (talk) 00:26, 1 March 2015 (UTC)
- Ocaasi (talk) 16:14, 2 March 2015 (UTC)
- FKoudijs (WMF) (talk) 16:54, 2 March 2015 (UTC)
- Add your username here