Submissions/“Wiki, What?: How the Wikipedia Logo Proves the Website is an Acceptable
After careful consideration, the Programme Committee has decided not to accept the below submission at this time. Thank you to the author(s) for participating in the Wikimania 2015 programme submission, we hope to still see you at Wikimania this July.
- Submission no.
- Title of the submission
- Wiki, What?: How the Wikipedia Logo Proves the Website is an Acceptable Educational Tool."
- Type of submission (discussion, hot seat, panel, presentation, tutorial, workshop)
- Author of the submission
- Jessica C. Jones
- E-mail address
- Country of origin
- United States of America
- Affiliation, if any (organisation, company etc.)
- Personal homepage or blog
- Abstract (at least 300 words to describe your proposal)
- The Wikipedia logo/symbol demonstrates how online aggregated knowledge although different does not and will not replace scholarly knowledge; therefore the website should be considered an acceptable educational tool.
Wikipedia has its fair share of critics when it comes to being a credible source of information. Maybe it is because it is readily available and instantaneous, that people believe the website does not deserve merit. Every student has been told at least once that Wikipedia is not a viable nor suitable site to source. The Wikipedia logo blazon on the homepage screen proves that every intricate detail of the symbol supports old information and new ideas, which are the very same reasons and motives as to why society cultivates new technology every single day. In this paper, the multi-layers of the Wikipedia logo will be discussed and examined, and what those layers mean in a media driven society. How the links and connections formed within the logo further prove that the website is a perfectly acceptable educational tool; because the ideology of the Wikipedia logo verifies that old content (i.e scholarly knowledge) is necessary and vital in order for this particular platform to distribute knowledge.
- Education Outreach
- Length of session (if other than 30 minutes, specify how long)
- 30 minutes
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
- Slides or further information (optional)
- Special requests
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with a hash and four tildes. (# ~~~~).